Quantum Physics World

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Readers of Quantum Mechanics Demystified should be pleased to learn about some new books on quantum information science that have just been released for the popular audience. One sure to cause a stir is Programming the Universe : A Quantum Computer Scientist Takes On the Cosmos by Seth Lloyd. In my opinion Lloyd is a bit off the edge. I have heard that he thinks the universe is some kind of computer running a program. The analogy is nice, but I believe that is just a product of the age. Kind of like the 18th century view that the universe was a machine or clock of some kind. If Lloyd really holds that view its too much for me, but I will probably be reading his book anyway since its sure to be full of insights.
Another book that recently came out that caught my attention is
Decoding the Universe: How the New Science of Information Is Explaining Everything in the Cosmos, from Our Brains to Black Holes by Charles Seife. I don't know anything about the author, but the title alone is enough to intrigue me. My feeling is information has some central role to play in the universe, so I intend to pick up this book to stimulate some thinking on this issue.

1 Comments:

  • Hi Dr. Mahon,

    on page 230 of QM demystified, i think that there should be 1/4 in front of the second set of terms in brackets. If you can confirm this point, then i will be confident that i understand what you have written. I will also then be able to understand the matrix elements of the density operator at the top of page 232. if you can also reply to ganderson@bvinst.edu, i will appreciate it.-Greg Anderson

    By Blogger BVINST1, at 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home